This soup will forever be a staple in our home! I can hear the PiggyToes running to the dinner table…
1 pound Italian Sausage (Note: I’ve used light ground turkey sausage)
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup carrot, diced
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
2 T. garlic, minced
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 14.5 can Chopped Italian-style stewed tomatoes (Note: You can use diced tomatoes and/or fresh tomatoes as well)
1 cup Mafalda Pasta (Note: I’ve also used Campenelle Pasta when I can’t find Mafalda)
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
1 cup fresh mozzarella, diced/cubed
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
4 tsp. sliced basil leaves
1. Brown Sausage in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add onion & carrot, saute 3 minutes.
3. Stir in mushrooms & garlic & saute another 3-4 minutes
4. Add Broth & Tomatoes, bring to a boil.
5. Stir in the pasta and simmer until cooked about 10 min. (or according to package directions)
6. Add the Spinach & cook until wilted
7. Serve over mozzarella cheese then garnish with Parmesan & basil
I’ve made this soup so many times and each time, I change something about it. Such as…
I’ve doubled the recipe.
I’ve tripled the recipe.
I added more carrots & spinach once.
I’ve omitted the sausage.
I’ve added all of my FAV Italian Seasonings (Basil, Oregano, Marjoram, Sage, etc.)
Here’s my suggestion:
TRY THIS RECIPE FIRST and next time, tweak it to your liking!