I just dropped Rocco off at Pre-School and came home to throw this in the crock-pot before our morning play-date! Hubby LOVES curry so I’m trying something new!
CROCK-POT CHICKEN CURRY
This ingredient list looks long; but most of the ingredients are spices that are quickly added to the crockpot. More curry powder is added at the end of the cooking time since the slow cooker tends to mute spice flavors.
Cook Time: 9 hours
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger root
• 2″ cinnamon stick
• 1 to 2 Tbsp. curry powder
• 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
• 3-1/2 lb. chicken, cut up and skinned
• 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
• 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
• 2 tsp. curry powder
• 2 Tbsp. cold water
• 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
• 1/2 cup sliced green onions
• 1/2 cup mango chutney
• 1/2 cup chopped peanuts
• 1/2 cup chopped coconut
- Combine the onion, garlic, ginger root, cinnamon, 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder, and red pepper flakes in 3-4 quart crock-pot.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Arrange on top of onions and spices in crock-pot.
- Pour chicken broth over all.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and keep warm in low oven, covered.
- Skim fat from crock-pot.
- Combine cornstarch, 2 teaspoons curry powder, and water in a small bowl. Stir into juices remaining in crock-pot.
- Increase heat to high and cook, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Serve chicken with sauce and chutney.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and green onions to serve, and serve with peanuts, and coconut.