Lainey is a college friend of mine who I met when I changed my major to Elementary Education. She’s that friend you sat next to in class and giggled until you snorted, or peed, or got up and ran out of class before you peed. Her and I would talk fashion, we would gossip, we shared dreams and did I mention we giggled? I can hear her giggling now. I think I went to that class just to giggle with Lainey. I don’t talk to Lainey as often as I did when we sat next to each other in class but if there’s one thing I remember about my education classes at the University, its giggling with Lainey about…well…everything Today, Lainey and I are mamas and she recently sent me a msg asking if I had a yummy Scone Recipe! I pulled out my ‘Baking Bible’ and I’m excited to share this Lemon-Blueberry Scone Recipe not only with her, but with YOU too!
Lemon-Blueberry Scones (From: Baking Illustrated)
2 cups (10 oz) All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Baking powder
3 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
5 Tbsp cold, unsalted Butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 tsp Grated Lemon Zet
1/2 cup Fresh Blueberries
1 Cup Heavy Cream
- Adjust your oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees
- Place the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl or the work-bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Whisk together or process with six 1-second pulses.
- Distribute the lemon zest & butter evenly over the dry ingredients. Process with twelve 1-second pulses.
- Add the blueberries and quickly mix in or pulse one more time.
- Transfer the dough to a large bowl.
- Stir in the heavy cream with a rubber spatula or fork until the dough begins to form, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer the dough and all dry flour bits to a counter-top and knead the dough by hand just until it comes together into a rough, slightly sticky ball, 5-10 seconds.
- Cut the scones into 8 wedges. Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until the scone tops are light brown. 12-15 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.
OK Lainey! When you bake, I want a beautiful pic of your scones for all the mamas out there to see! Happy Baking!