What was I thinking? It was the perfect opportunity for grilled salmon or the perfect night to grill my cilantro/lime chicken and serve corn & bean salad with it. Heck, really, it was the PERFECT night for a big salad! Topped with grilled steak, chicken, or fish…. I made Calzones. in a 425 degree oven. with no air conditioning. Where was my head? Poor Brian wasn’t even greeted with a sweet ‘hello’ or a kiss when he arrived home. I looked at him with a sweaty face and mascara running down my eyes and that was all he needed to make the decision to head to the AC FIRST and turn. it. ON! (In March) Even the boys side burns were wet. It was hot! Hot! HOT! I primped myself, then properly greeted my hard working man and we sat down to dinner. These calzones turned out great! For the dipping sauce, I used a small container of my homemade pasta sauce… Oh, the joys are freezing sauce!
If you choose to make your own Dough:
1 1/4 cups water
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
3 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon powdered milk
To Make Dough: Place water, yeast, sugar, flour, salt and powdered milk in the bread machine or kitchen-aid mixer with dough hook, in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select Dough cycle. After cycle is completed, roll out dough on a lightly floured surface.
Make your own or whip this up in a little pan:
1/2 or 1/4 chopped onion
2-3 cloves minced garlic
28 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes
fresh basil (chopped)
* If you want, add a little heavy cream!
Let it sit on low while the calzones baking.
1 large container fresh spinach (chopped)
1 small onion (diced)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
1 handful of breadcrumbs
2 cups shredded mozzarella
- If you choose not to make your own dough, 2- 10 oz. tubes of refrigerated pizza dough will also work well.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Brown your meat in large saucepan for about 8 minutes over medium heat. Drain excess fat. You can use chicken, beef, sausage or ground turkey. Your choice!
- In large bowl, mix the following ingredients (listed under ‘Mixture’): Pre-Cooked Meat, 1 large container fresh spinach (chopped), 1 small onion (diced), 3 cloves garlic (minced), 1 egg, handful of breadcrumbs, 2 cups shredded mozzarella, S&P, fresh basil, Italian Seasoning.
- Cut dough in triangles and place a big dollop of mixture onto each triangle. Top with another triangle of dough and pinch edges together.
- Transfer onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Brush the top with 1 egg (beaten) and sprinkle a little more s&p AND Italian seasoning over the top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.